In this podcast we look at the amazing topic of how to use food correctly when training your dog. If you have ever wondered whether or not you are using it correctly and making the most out of it, then this podcast will answer all those questions.
Many people are using food when there’s absolutely no need for it, others are making things more complicated by using it, and some are not using it when it could really help with their training.
It’s important to note that things in the dog training world have changed over time. Years ago, the use of food in training was absolutely unheard of. Now you will find some dog trainers shoving food into their dog’s mouths for doing virtually nothing. So if you find yourself confused, hoping that maybe there’s a middle ground that would make sense to you that has been overlooked then I think you will enjoy what I have to say.
Here is a summary of what we go through in the podcast: How To Use Food In Your Dog Training
1. Why you should use food
- Food is like money to a dog… for many dogs it’s their training currency.
- There are some behavioral issues that can be fixed in an instant with food.
- I answer some of the key questions such as shouldn’t dogs just do as you say without having to use food?
2. What are the exercises where we seriously consider using food?
- The use of food during the puppy training phase.
- How food can be used to help stop some behavioral issues.
- How to use food as a powerful distraction.
3. When not to use food
- Why using food treats will never replace dog psychology.
- Why using food treats is only a part of the solution.
- The danger of not using treats wisely (when your dog outwits you!).
- How treats can actually encourage the behavioral issues you are trying to extinguish when they are used at the wrong time.
4. Seeing food through your dogs eyes
- Not all food is created equal.
- The $1 million pay cheque.
- My dog’s absolute top shelf favorite treat.
- I answer the question “What is more appealing to a food orientated dog than a sausage”.
We finish of the podcast with whole bunch of tips and tricks all related to the use of food, that will help you and your dog get the most out of every little morsel that they eat!
By the end of the podcast you will see food in a completely different light and understand what great dog trainers have learnt. That food used correctly is a very powerful tool. Simply throwing a bowl of food down in front of your dog each morning without a second thought will become a thing of the past!
So enjoy the podcast, and let me know what you think.
Looking for additional dog training resources? I highly encourage you to check out how I’ve trained over 77,000 dogs with my calm, gentle methods here! Happy a puppy? Check out my Puppy Coach training program!
Thanks for reading, have a great day and as always, love your dog ☺
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks again for listening to the Show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them. The higher the ranking, the more people will discover this calm and gentle method of dog training.